Sunday, March 11, 2012

Chocolate covered Cherries, mint etc. (The easy way)



Chocolate covered Cherries, mint etc. (The easy way)

I am not an expert on sweet because I don’t like sweet at all, but I learn how to do it with my 9 years old daughter at Christmas for her teacher, friends, and families. You can see why my candies look really interesting. For those of you that is good at making candy you can share idea with me next Christmas so I know how to do it right. My daughter and her friends had a lot of fun making these candies:)

For the dough cover you need
3 T of soften butter
3 T of light corn syrup
2 cups of powder sugar

For the chocolate covered you can use any melts chocolate in the store.

In a medium size bowl mix the butter and corn syrup until smooth then add powder sugar until it hard enough to knead.

Knead until the dough is solid and smooth. If the dough is not stiff enough keep cover and refrigerated for 15 minutes.

For the mint filling
I use part of the dough and add few drops of mint extract and green food coloring to it then mix it until the dough turn light or dark green up to you.

For the Cherry filling you can buy any cherries in a jar at the grocery store if you get the one with stem on is easy to dip in chocolate.

You need to wrap all the filling with the dough first and lay in on a tray not touching.
Take out 1 t of the dough and flat it on the palm of your hand put the cherry with stem up and wrap the flat dough around it to cover the cherry. Repeat with the rest of the dough and filling.

I did the same for the mint make sure you make it small enough so the white dough can cover it easily.
I did it with pistachio nut and peanut butter except for peanut butter I form into a small ball and refrigerated for 30 minutes until it is hard.

To dip the dough in chocolate

Over low heat on the stove(use double boiler with water underneat) melt 1 lb of any white, or dark chocolate coating, dip each filling in and lay on the baking sheet with waxed paper to keep the candy from sticking to the tray. Repeat the remaining until all gone.
Let the chocolate sit for few hours or overnight is best then wrap it as gift. If you want color coating go to Michael Craft store they have all kind of color coating chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment