Monday, February 25, 2013

Chicken Rice Congee (Khmer Borbor Sach Mouan)



Chicken Rice Congee (Khmer Borbor Sach Mouan)

This is Khmer comfort soup when you have a cold.

1  small chicken cook in 16 cups of water until the chicken is done, you can add more water if needed (you need this broth to cook the Congee) when the chicken is done shredded the meat and set aside. You can through the bone away, but sometime I  put it back in the broth for flavor.
If you follow these recipes you can do the same with fish, pork blood, and pork belly. For pork blood you have to cook it ahead of time, cut to cube bite size and put it last when the rice soup is almost done.

Use 8 cups of broth
Cooked shredded chicken or shrimps
1 cup of long grain rice (use American measuring cup) wash and rinse
1/4 cups of dried shrimp (soak rinse set aside)
1/4 cup of  preserved cabbage (wash rinse set aside)
4 garlic gloves pound in mortar pestle to paste with 1 t of salt
A handful of big flat dried rice noodle (this is optional, but I like it)
Soak wash and rinse set aside.
2 T of fried garlic or shallot for garnish
2 green onions cut to 1 inch long for garnish
2 T of fish sauce (if you don’t like fish sauce put salt)
1 T of sugar



For the bowl:
Soy bean paste
Chili sauce
Black pepper
Sugar
Lime wedge
Green onion
Bean Sprouts
Saw tooth (Jee Bonlar)

In a big pot on high heat bring the chicken broth to a boil
When the broth is boiling add rice let the rice cook until it is soft and not raw in the middle
Then add chicken, dried shrimp, preserve cabbage, garlic paste cooked for 5 minutes to let the flavor come and the rice is soft (is like borbor)
Then add the flat noodle to it cook until it is soft
Now add sugar, salt or fish sauce to it, taste and adjust the flavor
Turn the heat off
Garnish the soup rice with fried garlic or shallot and green onions
If you soup rice is too thin don’t worry, when it is cold it will be thicker, but if it is too thick do add more broth to it. You can use chicken broth from the can if you like.
When ready to serve you can ladle the soup rice into a serving bowl and add the bean sprouts, lime wedge, green onion and so on according to your taste.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Bong! Thank you for sharing your recipe. I'm a younger generation that has been looking for Cambodian cooking classes. I am very interested in learning. Do you have more to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda I have fb page for video call tevy's kitchen. Go check it out.

      Delete
  2. I am not teaching cooking class anymore, but if you have any question I can answer you just email me. I have lot of khmer food, it is over 100 recipes in this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I strolled on to this blog. I too am the younger generation, and don't have much access to Khmer food recipes. My mom passed away 7 years ago and I really don't have any close Khmer family members to teach me the ropes. Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am British and have just had a over a month in Cambodia - what a wonderful varied country and such kind and smiling people. I am 81 and do not walk so easily now with replacement knees but lovely tuk tuks everywhere. I discovered Borbor and will be making some for breakfast to-morrow - thank you for the recipe. Maurean
    PS It is getting a bit hot there just now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. go check out on my fb blog you might find what you need there.

    ReplyDelete